Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My First Ana White Build

THE THREE CUBE BENCH

Well, folks, I finally did it. After mentioning for months how much I love Ana White's website (www.ana-white.com), I finally built something. Well, two somethings actually. I took advantage of some downtime over the holidays to make two benches for my childrens' playroom. Here's how they turned out...



I had to modify the measurements a little to fit smaller cubbies than the example on her site. I also had to modify to leave a couple inches clearance between the top of the cubbies and the bench so an overly full cubbie would still fit. You've never seen a cubbie stuffed full to overflowing until a two-year-old has had their fun with it.

I also made the cushions. My kids love the fabric that shows vintage scenes of children at a zoo. It was originally very expensive but I found an odd piece of it in Hobby Lobby and asked if they would discount it (because it never hurts to ask). It was still nearly $20 for less than two yards. And discount they did! I got it for less than $4. Geez, I love a good bargain.



There's nothing like taking your frustrations out on a hammer and a piece of wood and ending up with something beautiful. I can't wait to get started on the next build!

Wishing you a good hammer and some downtime.

---ADDED LATER---

I was asked two quesitons. First, the cost breakdown...

The bench I made: $44
The same bench at Pottery Barn Kids: $200
The same bench at Land of Nod: $189
The same bench at Company Kids: $150
*Prices don't include the cubbies and the cushions.

Second, the finish. I had originally planned on staining them, so I used a dark wood putty to match the stain. But I ended up using a lot of putty and could see they weren't going to cut it stained. So it took two coats of tinted primer and two coats of paint to cover the dark putty (because, of course, I wanted to paint them a light, creamy color). :/ I finished it off with a top coat of clear, satin finish polycrylic.

2 comments:

  1. wowowowow! you are amazing. congrats on some great furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thanks to you, we checked out her website and made 2 toddler beds. Russ and I worked on the first one, and then he did the 2nd one, since I was just getting gigantic and pregnant. But anyway, this little bench is the next thing I want to do after the baby comes!! I'll have to tap you for some tips when we get started! I looks GREAT and I *love* the fabric for the cushion. Way to go super mom!

    ReplyDelete