Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Weekend Project

I did something I love this weekend. I found an old, yucky piece of furniture and gave it a facelift. I started with this old desk that I found for $20.



I thought it had "good bones" (I'm a sucker for turned legs - I love that) and although being blatantly lied to that it was all wood but was actually veneers, I decided to go ahead anyway. Could have been a big mistake but I was willing to risk it.

I started with a little of this...



It's for my son's room, thus the fire engine red. Just about done...



Then I used a spray-on final clear coat and RUINED IT!!! I had to re-sand and paint (did you know you could sand veneers???) After getting back to a decent color, I decided to go the old fashioned route and use polyurethane in a can with a foam brush applicator.



It was my first time using polyurethane and I loved it. I'm totally hooked. It made me want to run around slapping poly on everything I could see. I'm convinced it's in the category of duck tape... able to fix anything. It could probably even substitute for plastic surgery. But I digress.

Here's the finished project...



What do you think?

Wishing you the magic of polyurethane in your world.

2 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!! Love it! And now I'm curious as to what I can use Poly...whatchamacallit on in our little (and poorly ventilated) apartment...mwah haha haha....

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the desk! what a fun project. how do you find time for projects like that with 4 little ones, though?

    ReplyDelete