Tuesday, June 29, 2010

July 4th Ideas

July 4th is this weekend! I love this holiday and plan on celebrating it to the full this year. I've been looking for ideas to make our family get together great and came across so many really good ones, I decided I need to share. Please note that I am entirely skipping any main course meal ideas because, well frankly, I'm not a good cook and am leaving that portion to those in my family who do it better than I do and because it would make this post longer than my attention span. So here we go...


This is a classic idea from Good Housekeeping Magazine and I put it up mostly because the picture is so pretty. For specific instructions, click on the "pinwheels" label. (No, I am not being paid to promote any of these ideas. I am crediting the sources because I am afraid I will get in trouble if I don't. But if they decide they don't want to sue me and do indeed want to pay me instead, I will gladly accept. Four kids people.)


FOURTH OF JULY DECORATION

This idea is from http://www.familyfun.go.com/. For all craft ideas, I have a need to keep it very, very simple. Partly because my kids are very young and need it simple and partly because I have no patience for the 20 steps it takes to create something I will throw away the next day. So this craft rocks! Very simple.


RED STRAWBERRY TEA

This is two ideas in one. I love the red tea idea and the recipe sounds yummy. I also love the blueberry skewers you can put in many drinks. Thank you again Good Housekeeping.



Here's a nod to the kids. My kids love tea, but we are in the south. Other kids may not, so for them, here's another great idea (ironically, from Southern Living. I guess there is a southern out there somewhere that doesn't drink tea).


STRAW FLAGS

This is one of my favorite ideas. So simple and much better than a sharpie on a plastic glass, although I'm not knocking it. (Southern Living)


STAR ICE CUBES

These are at Walmart for $1. Did you catch that? One. Dollar.



PATRIOTIC CAKE
Here's a fun idea that is so common I can't credit anyone with it. It's just a lovely idea and something the kids can help with.

This is the idea that keeps on giving. First, the kids are occupied making it. Then, they are occupied playing with it. Rock on.


FACE PAINTING
You CAN NOT forget to whip out some face paints and and look silly for a few hours. Now, if you are an adult at an all-adult work-related party, I may eat these words. But for the vast majority sitting on blankets in parks and backyards everywhere, it's a winner.



PICNIC BLANKET

Any lastly, when it's time for the fireworks, take this one with you. This is not as much a great idea as it is a great bargain. Walmart is selling these blankets in any size with a matching tote for $19.

Hope you enjoy your celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment