It will come as no surprise that this weekend we celebrated July 4th. I had family come in town to celebrate with us and the whole family thoroughly enjoyed themselves for not one, but two days of fireworks and food.
We put together a great barbecue with lots of patriotic spirit.
My kids favorite thing was the star-shaped ice.
It was the very first time for the kids and for me to set off fireworks. I grew up in Phoenix where they are illegal. But apparently the south feels just fine about small, random fires. No fear. So, I tried to suck up my sheer terror about setting off explosive in my own yard, but apparently I wasn't alone. You can see how the kids felt...
They thought Grandpa had lost his mind when he started doing fireworks. They looked at him and looked at me and back at him, but by the end of the night they couldn't get enough. After setting them off ourselves, the kids thought the actual show the next night was a let down but still got into the spirit of it.
I LOVE every single picture! I love the hat and bow. The star-shaped ice is so cute! It's one of the extra touches that makes a party better I think.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I would be as scared as you to set off explosives in my backyard! Glad you braved it. Sounds like everyone had a "blast!" (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.)